Friday, December 30, 2022

The Eve of Fools Eve



 On the eve of the Eve a list of promises made to the self is put together, that are seldom kept.  I, yes I even put together a list or two to stare at for a brief period of time before depositing in the proper receptacle.  I tend to be a little bit of a pragmatist.  I don't make promises unless I know I can fulfill them.  That means, I don't make promises to myself.  After all procrastination is a powerful foe.

The New Year's Resolution has become a sacred ceremony practiced by a few fools wearing funny hats, drinking beverages that are hard to pronounce at the nth of the hour.   Many of these fools embrace and kiss at the drop of a hat, or rather a large lighted ball falling from the corner of Madison and Broadway in New York City.  This place called Times Square, is the main sacred place where these promises propagate.      Some of these fools will wake in the morning with an individual that they may or may not remember the names of.  Thus the beginning of many apologies and new acquaintances.  There may or may not be a few marriages attributed to this ceremony.  Who can say the way of the Eve.

This is the eve of the Eve.  The day before the beginning of the change.  What that change is for sure I'm not privy to, however there seems to be a big hubbub about the marching on of time.  So, I make a promise.  Might even write is down, not necessary for my  needs.  I'll ponder it, think it over, make changes to it, and promptly forget it.  If it is written down into the receptacle it goes, or burned in an available fire.  Carrying a self admonishing promise around can be a heavy weight man, heavy.  Why burden yourself with something you'll most likely ignore in the first place. 

 So why do we make these promises in the first place?  Because, they are an important part of the Ceremony that is diligently practiced by millions of fools every year.  And being a prime Fool, why the heck not?  

Peace and Balance,

John  


4 comments: