Monday, May 15, 2023

There's no Place Like Home, and extra Ammo.

 


Recently a close friend and I went on a road trip.  During the excursion we stopped at a small burger joint just on the southern end of No. Conway NH.  The Burgers were very good complete with Truffle sauce and all the fixins.  The fries that came with the sandwich was equally tasty.  Spiced with just the right amount of stuff and yes served with some tasty Truffle sauce.  There is something about a Truffle that elevates the most mundane food to the heights of culinary excellence.   If I was a Micheline man I would give that burger a star, but I'm not and who would take me serious anyways?  

While munching our meal my friend took up a conversation with an older couple, I have to back step a bit here, I say older couple however, the mirror has reminded me of something recently, any who he struck up a conversation with a couple from Connecticut.  They own a "Hunting" camp just a little north of the Great Nord Dubois.  That's the Great Northern Woods for you non French/English smash speakers.

The husband began picking out points of interest that we generally take for granted as he was talking about our back yards.  My friend lives in the woods, and I live in the almost woods just on the outskirts of Berlin in New Hampster.  Very nonchalantly he mentioned a house just a little north of here that has a 50 caliber machine gun turret mounted on the roof.   Of course that caught our attention.  He goes on about how he was driving and looked up and saw the mounting on the house.  I was listening carefully and keeping my mouth shut as my Buddy asked all the important questions.  I was becoming just a tad skeptical the longer the conversation held out, until he produced a photo from his handy dandy Iphone.  And indeed there was a 50 cal. gun turret up on top of a building just north of here.  Ok, which reality am I in?

Now all this funnin aside, what kind of individual mounts a machine gun on top of their house?  How paranoid must one be to take home protection to that level.  Granted we are living in New Hampshire, the Live Free Or Die State, but gee wiz.  

It does occur to me that up North here that might make a convenient deer hunting solution.  It may even be the owner's idea of modern art, however morbid.  Is the owner readying for an impending attack from the more militant wing of the Canadian military?  Are the Hell's Angels up in Montreal all up in arms about something or another?  The questions fill my head.

Ok, so just out of curiosity I checked to see if it was legal to mount a machine gun on your house, and I found out that Yes it is.  In the United States if you're a law biding citizen with the legal documents for the weapon, you can mount a 50 caliber machine gun turret atop your home for "Home Security."   It is at this moment I am looking around for that twister that has launched me and my little dog to the land of Oh My God. Oz Man.  

Peace and Balance,

John

2 comments: