Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Back Flips of the Past

 


Today during class, I'm pretending to teach 14 year old freshman at our local high school, anyways during class one of the kids asked me to do a back flip.  My initial reaction was aghast, "Me?" I asked, "I'm an old man, you expect me to do a back flip?"  

"Of course and Why Not?" was the reply.

Then I explained that I was an old man and doing back flips had left my consciousness many moons ago.  I told him that I have reached the respectable age and those of the respectable ilk don't do back flips.  That the mechanism in the brain kicks in just before the thought catches up with the body, and asks a very important question, "Have you lost your mind?"

Then I started thinking about the prospect.  I indeed used to be able to do a back flip.  That was many years ago and several pants sizes hence.  At that time I was a healthy light heavy weight at about 180 pounds.  Strong as hell, and just about as bright.  My past occupation didn't lend to over thinking circumstances.  I would just "Flip."

Today, I tip the scale at about 250.  I'm a little more, "Massive" then I was then, and flipping isn't in the cards.  I will teach flipping and chuckle at almost flipping, but I have grown out of the need to flip.  It's much more fun to laugh at flippers.

So my answer to the young'un in class who so inpurtantly asked me to do a back flip was, "You First."  

Peace and Balance,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment