Thursday, August 10, 2023

NO See Um Attacks.

 


During class this afternoon Tim looked down and told me that I've got some serious bug bites on the back of my calves.  "Yes", I said, "Those little bastards."  I had been attacked by a marauding squadron of NO See Ums.  You know, those little things you can't see, but hear as they whine by your ear, and feel as they sink their little fangs in up to the gums.  It starts as a warm burn then turns into a never ending itch.  How can something so small be so devious?

This time of year in the North Country has some nice benefits.  The weather is warm, fairly pleasant, and the camping can be fabulous.  Although this has been the year of the sponge, I still like August.  Except for one thing, The squadron of NO See Ums.  I do believe the one I encountered in the morning a week back was a scout gathering intel about the human dwelling the yard, and the fly with him, well that was a spy employed to draw my attention away from his original nefarious nature. 

The bites on the backs of my calves were so irritating with the itching and burning a couple evenings ago that I had to rise early in the morning and apply a slathering of Bacitracin to deal with the crazies that were building do to the itching.  I even saw a crazed look in the mirror, not normal for me, almost. 

So here's my plan of attack for tomorrow evening when I go out to do battle with the elusive NO See Um.  I will have a fiery stick in one hand and a bottle of Deep Woods Off in the other.   The ones I manage to see will be fried on the stick and the rest will succumb to the chemical warfare of the Off.  I will also hire a squadron of Mercenary Song Birds for extra protection.  I have High Hopes the War will be won.  

Peace and Balance,

John 

2 comments: