Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Walk On The Wild Side, NO...



 I'm of the age that can tell who is a girl and who is a boy.  When I was a kid if you liked a girl you had a conversation with her and asked her to a movie, or whatever.  There was a definite distinction between the genders regardless of any specific orientation.  

Today I work at a public High School and, especially this year, have walked away from certain conversation either because I don't understand what I'm hearing or seeing, or I don't want to engage in a conversation that might put me in a position where I would have to defend what I'm saying vs. what I'm hearing.  Kids these days seem to be very comfortable with their fluid ideas of gender and sexual orientation.  

I just don't understand.  Some of these kids are definitely boys or girls, but switch and decide or choose  to portray the opposite sex.  Just like the Lou Reed song says, "Boys will be Girls, and Girls will be Boys."  I remain confused.

We have a couple female students that are actually very attractive young ladies, and dress all girly, girly, but who call themselves boys, and expect to be approached in same manner.  It's hard to have a conversation with a student who is definitely one gender as the opposite gender.  Especially when that student dresses obviously on purpose the opposite gender that they want to be addressed as.  

I understand that there are certain psychological disorders that make it impossible for the patient to accept or confirm genders that they were born with, however I don't believe that the majority of students are afflicted with this disorder, nor do I believe that the number of students that are, "Flipping" genders are going to remain in the one being, "Acted" out.    I just find this all very odd.  

An observation that I have been pondering is that most of these non-gender conformist students were born female verses male.  I wonder if that is a reflection of the stress levels, and or stressors that society is imposing upon our women.  There must be a study out there somewhere.  

So, this old man is going to have to learn new ways, However I refuse to, "Take A Walk On The Wild Side."

Peace and Balance,

John

2 comments:

  1. It's difficult when they are family. Trust me on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This I'm aware of. I have a niece that is a professional artist of sorts that switches back and forth, another source of confusion for an uncle trying to re-connect.

      Delete